[Skip to content]

Tuesday 19 February 2019
Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Search our Site
Breakout Logo Header
Young Peoples Substance Misuse Service

Is your drug or alcohol use worrying you or causing you any problems?

What we can do for you

Offer a confidential specialist service; this means we will not talk to other people about your support or treatment unless you want us to. In rare cases we may have to but we will always aim to speak to you first. Read our Confidentiality Agreement for more information.

  • Treatment and support: we can create a support or treatment package based on you and one that fits in with your lifestyle.
  • One-to-one support.
  • Detox programs: if you need help coming off a drug or alcohol we can help you to come off it.
  • Work on coping mechanisms: we can help you to find other ways to cope rather than taking drugs when bad things happen.

Parents and carers want the best for you, even if it may not seem like that at the time. We can work with your parents, help explain things from your point of view and help you to rebuild or strengthen your relationship with them. This doesn’t mean they have to know everything, most parents are just glad that you're getting support and don’t need to know how much and/or how often you take something. We will always ask you if you want your family involved and it’s your decision.

Learn more about the effects of drugs and alcohol and how to abstain by visiting our live well: drugs page or our live well: alcohol pageOr are you struggling with an addiction? Visit our help with addictions page for advice and support.

What we can do for schools

  • Basic drug and alcohol training sessions for staff
  • Targeted group work in schools with young people who are at risk of developing problems with their drug or alcohol use
  • We can visit young people in school if they prefer.

Other organisations

If your service has young people who are particularly vulnerable to using drugs and alcohol, we can offer:

  • Basic drug and alcohol training sessions for staff
  • Targeted group work.

Parents and carers

If you’re a parent or carer and are concerned about a young person you can contact us but please remember if you want them to access the service they must agree to the referral.

Some advice:
Try and talk to the young person in a way that doesn’t turn into an argument. This is often the most difficult part of trying to offer support to the young person. Bear in mind they won’t talk to you if it becomes a shouting match.

In some cases it might be better to get someone who has a good relationship with the young person, perhaps a family friend or relative.

Be prepared:
It may take some time for them to admit they are using drugs or drinking too much alcohol and remember they may not want help even if they are using at this moment in time. 

Try and read up on the particular substance if you know what they are taking, but be careful; it’s very  easy to get confused between the symptoms that someone is displaying and the actual drugs they are using. 

The link below is a booklet available in Derby and is a good place to start. It aims to give young people an indication of the short term and long term effects of different drugs and alcohol.


Derby Integrated Family Health Service is Derby’s Young Person’s drug and alcohol team. They work with people under the age of 18 who would like advice, help and support for their drug or alcohol use. More details on the service on the website.


Curzon House
8 Curzon Street
Derby, DE1 1LL

Tel: 01332 641661

Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 5.00pm

Location map for Breakout.

Confidentiality Agreement

Breakout Young Person’s Substance Misuse Service offers a confidential service.  This means we do not disclose information to your parents, teachers, the police or others, without your consent. However, information is shared within the team for case management and supervision purposes.

We will need to disclose information in the following cases:

  • You or someone you know is suffering or at risk of suffering significant harm, e.g. emotional, physical or sexual abuse
  • You or someone you know is suffering from neglect
  • You need urgent medical attention, i.e. overdose, serious illness or injury, suicide and self-harming behaviour
  • To protect the public from acts of terrorism as defined in the Prevention of Terrorism Act, 1971
  • To protect the service providers or third parties in a life threatening situation
  • If you disclose to us information relating to a very serious crime such as rape or murder
  • Where the service is ordered to give information as part of legal proceedings.


Breakout Icon large